Sunday, August 29, 2010

Exploring my Neighborhood (Part 2)

In August, much of Europe goes on vacation, Romania is no exception. Thus it has been hard to meet people in my community as since I have arrived at site, both my potential Romanian tutor and community mentor have been on vacation. I finally was able to meet my school director (the equivalent of a principal) for a few minutes the other day as he had been away in the beginning of the month. Luckily, I got an invite from Mil, a fellow volunteer in my group, who lives about an hour and forty-five minutes away from me.

Julie, a volunteer who lives about an hour from me, and I went to visit Mil last Friday. The floods that ravaged Romania earlier this summer destroyed part of the train track that runs beyond Mil's site so in order for me to get there I had to go to Julie's site and spend the night so we could take the only morning train at 7:00am that goes to Mil's site. Normally there should be many more train options, but a couple stops past Mil the track has been damaged. Julie and I woke up at 6:30am and walked to the train station that is conveniently about a 3 minute walk from Julie's apartment. Below is Julie's gorgeous old station.

We arrived bright and early at Mil's site which runs in a valley between two mountain ranges. The air was quite crisp compared to the heat of my site and I had goosebumps for the first times in months. It was delightful! We walked through the village of around 3,600 to the house Mil lives in with a gazda (the widow of the former town priest). We were greeted by the flowers in Mil's front yard.

In one of the sheds in Mil's yard braided onions and herbs are hung in preparation for winter.

After some restorative coffee we walked to Mil's school. On the way to the school we saw some girls herding some ducks.

Hay coming from the fields.


We had a picnic by the river that flooded earlier this summer.

Julie, Mil and me.



One of the kindergartens in Mil's community.
Add Image
The school restroom.

The playground!

A few more houses and barns in the community.


Home is where the heart is! (or the gate)


Work being done to restore the river to it's original route after the flooding in June and July.

Sadly, we had to take the train home in the afternoon (there was only one train option out), but Julie and I vow to come back and visit Mil again soon. It was a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a gmail account! And so can post comments. Yay! This place looks very picturesque. Is this the Romanian Cotopaxi? It looks like a lot of the people in the town are still living quite traditionally. It sounds like Mil has a pretty good situation. I'm sure the place will feel a lot more isolated once the winter rolls around however. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete