Sunday, March 6, 2011

Country Love

One of the things that I enjoy most in Romania is the deep connection that people have to the country. Most people I have met either have their own land in the country or have a parent or grandparent with land. On this land they grow fruits and vegetables and many people have livestock. People are very passionate about knowing what went into the food they consume.

In smaller communities, almost everyone has chickens and an animal to provide them milk. This actually proves problematic to some of my fellow volunteers who live in villages because there is literally no where for them to buy eggs or milk in town. They get very excited when they can actually "score" milk.

I have been tutoring a few kids in town and have been lucky to been given gifts from the country as I head out the door. In the fall, I got some delicious apples, pears and grapes. Then I got homemade tomato juice, pickled watermelon and honey. Recently, I got some gorgeous (and yummy) eggs.

I also got this smoked fish. I haven't quite been brave enough to try it yet, but I am intrigued. It's also quite pretty.

On the corner next to my block you can find people selling herbs, veggies and milk every morning. The milk is sold in old soda and juice bottles, but is only available very early in the morning as it sells out. Once home you heat it, then can skim the fat off the top. I have to admit, I don't do this, but when I lived with a family during training this is how they got their weekly milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment