Monday, May 9, 2011

Life in Slow Motion

Over the past couple weeks I have been trying to be a bit domestic.  I have been making granola and planting things.  This week I can happily report that my granola recipe is getting tastier (read less burnt) and that the plants in my kitchen window are sprouting.  I am hoping to have basil, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro by summer.  I am still using my flannel sheets and wearing my down coat some days, but I think summer is around the corner.

As I approach a year in Romania, I want to take a moment to reflect on things happening outside of Romania.  To me, one of the most challenging aspects of being in Romania has been missing events in the lives of family and friends.  My greatest joy in life comes from spending time and sharing experiences with family friends.  Beyond the standard holidays and birthdays, I have missed some momentous occasions too.  Two important new people came into the world; Benjamin, my nephew, and Cecelia, the daughter of my close friends Eliza and Daniel. While I have yet to meet them in person, I do cherish Skype dates with them.

I have also missed celebrating new engagements, but I am very excited for Corona & Josh and Margaret & Kevin.  My awesome sister-in-law, Astrid, got her Ph.D. Go, Dr. L! There are also new babies on the way who births I will miss this summer, but I can't wait to meet the new littles ones from Megan & Andrew, Robin & Andy, and Mariclair & Bill when I am back in Seattle.  Also, my brilliant cousins are graduating this month; Emily is getting her Ph.D. in Management and Simone is getting her Master's in Public Policy. Anyway I am cheering for all of you from Romania!

1 comment:

  1. xoxo
    we love and miss you so much!!!
    are we still on for tomorrow morning?

    ReplyDelete