Sunday, March 18, 2012

Breaking My Rules

As a teacher, I have been conscious of playing favorites.  When I was a student, I remember being acutely aware of teachers who had favorites.  I have been on both sides of that equation; I had teachers that I knew liked me and other teachers that I knew didn't like me.  I can remember being in elementary school in class with a teacher that didn't like me and trying so hard to try to figure what I could do to change that.  Becoming a teacher, I have really tried to make sure that all my students feel that I like them.  I think it's human nature to have favorites.  I definitely have some favorite classes and students, but I try to be fair in the classroom. I give grades based on ability and effort, nothing more. Trying not to have favorites has effected how I do things, I haven't done many activities with my students outside of class because I can't quite be fair about it.  About 70% of my students commute to school and have to take buses or trains right after school so I haven't thought it fair to make activities that not everyone could attend.  

However, this weekend I made an exception to my rule.  I have a number of students who live in the dorms at my school from the Republic of Moldova. While I have a lot of students who stay in the dorms Sunday night to Friday morning, students from Moldova don't have the ability to go home on the weekend (it's too far away).  Our school cafeteria also isn't open on the weekend so they have to cook on a hot pot in their room. Thus I decided they needed some warm baked goods. Also, a few weeks ago there was a schedule change in school so I had to stop teaching one of my twelfth grade classes so technically I am not their teacher anymore!

I was excited to have the girls over for a mini-tea party, but we actually had an amazingly beautiful day so at the last minute I made ginger lemonade instead.  I had made scones and banana bread ahead of time and together we made chocolate chip cookies.  We had a great afternoon sharing recipes, favorite music, and plans for the future.  Also, I sent them home with a giant packet of goodies to share with the other students when they return back to the dorms tonight.

Carolina and Doina

No comments:

Post a Comment