Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sharing the Baked Wealth

On Friday I had a long scheduled date with my landlady, Doamna Bintu.  Last year she was forced to retire from her job in a general school and has had more time on her hands.  This has benefited me greatly as she now brings over lots of baked goods and sometimes meals to my apartment across the hall.  I have shared a number of things I baked with her, but there has always been a clear winner for her in the category of "American" baked goods, scones.  I know they are really British in origin, but they get categorized as American since I made them. 

I shared the recipe with her after she asked for it, but when I tried to explain cutting in the butter in Romanian it just confused her, as most baked goods here are made with oil.  Thus we set a date for me to come over and show her how to make them.  She was amazed at how quick and easy it was. When we were done my landlord came into judge our creations and toasted us with wine.  It was a fun afternoon.

Doamna Bintu and the scones

Filling the scones with raspberry jam

Doamna and Domule Bintu

Bakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment