Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Romanian Wedding

My gazdas have been wonderful about helping me experience lots of Romanian culture while I have been here. Last weekend after I came back from visiting my future site (I'll write more about that in the future) I got to attend a Romanian Orthodox wedding. One of my gazda's daughters and son-in-law were the wedding godparents. In Romania, the couple decides on a another married couple that they want to be their wedding godparents. The godparents are very active in the church ceremony and are supposed to be the spiritual role models for them as they enter marriage. It was very interesting because the parents of the bride and groom did not really take active roles in the ceremony, only the godparents did. I should note here though, that I don't know if this is the case in all Romanian or if that was just for this wedding. I did not attend the reception because in Romania guest pay for their own plates at the reception and this can be over 100 RON.

Here is a small overview of some of what I got to experience on the wedding day. I was with the wedding godparents when the groom and his family came to get the godparents. He also brought his best man who traditionally carries a small pine tree that is decorated for the wedding. Also coming with him was an accordion player to help us really get in the wedding mood.

The proud godparent family.

After the godparents were picked up, we then set off to gather the bride from her home. After her family offered everyone refreshments. Bread was broken over her head and then everyone danced the hora in the parking lot outside her house. Finally, it was time to head to the church.



The bride was walked into the church / down the aisle by her godfather.

The church service itself was surprisingly short. I think it only lasted about 45 minutes or so. After the bride and groom were crowned it was time for the reception. I did not attend this part, but my goal at some point during the next two years is to attend all the parts of a Romanian wedding. Before I do this though I really need to improve my language skills so that I can understand more of what is going on around me.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I from America have been asked to be godparents at my fiend's wedding in Romania. She will help us prepare but as she will be the bride, I would like to not burden her with too much detail.

    It is helpful to see your photos as to what our roles may be. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete