Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Day 2.0

Last year I spent Thanksgiving day in my classroom trying to teach my students a little about one of my favorite holidays.  The whole day felt a little surreal and I think my attempts to teach my students the joy of the holiday only increased my homesickness.  
 
This year I opted for a different approach.  I took a day of annual leave, something PCVs usually reserve for days out of the country, in order to attend a very special Thanksgiving at the American Ambassador's Residence.  Ambassador Gitenstein and his wife have graciously invited the Peace Corps community into their home along with Embassy staff and other foreign dignitaries during their time in Romania.

It was a lovely event; I was able to see some fellow volunteers that I rarely get to see and meet some new friends from the expat community. Ambassador Gitenstein and Mrs. Gitenstein shared their traditions, saying a prayer and blessing the challah.


Everyone is attendance enjoyed an amazing spread, including a delicious bread pudding made by Ambassador Gitenstein! It was a nice was to spend my second Thanksgiving in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment