Friday, December 2, 2011

A story for Ingrid and Ben

When you agree to sign-up for the Peace Corps you agree to prepare both your personal and professional life for 27 months of service abroad and to live under conditions of hardship.  For me, the conditions have not been difficult, aside from the occasional days with water and power, I really have been blessed.  My hardship comes in a more personal manner.  The hardship comes from missing friends and family and many feelings of uncertainty.  

One of the big missing pieces in my current life is the inability to have a real relationship with my niece and nephew.  I have yet to actually even meet my nephew, Benjamin, he was born just a couple months into my service.  We have a relationship via Skype, but we are just blobs trying to converse with one another.  Half the time when Ben, who is now almost 17 months old, gets near the screen he ends up disconnecting us by pounding on the keyboard.  I think he is saying, "This relationship is not sufficient; get out of that computer and come play with me!"  Quite frankly, I totally agree!  Therefore, in attempt to me more than just a blob I thought I would try reading one of my favorite stories by Arnold Lobel from Frog and Toad Together.


1 comment:

  1. Knowing what I know about how much you love that story this brought tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete