Monday, May 10, 2010

One Week

A little over a month ago I was accepted into the Peace Corps to serve as an education volunteer in Romania. After much deliberation and a lot of tears I decided this was an opportunity I could not pass up. It seems to funny to say that I deliberated about something that I applied for, but the truth is that I didn't realize quite how much I love my life until the possibility of leaving arose.

I applied to the Peace Corps in February 2009 and essentially finished all my forms, interviews, and doctors appointments by July 2009 without ever feeling like I knew if would get in or not. I knew I was applying for programs in Eastern Europe that would start in May, June or July 2010, but was also told that due to the state of the economy there were many more applicants in the pool. I feel very fortunate to have been picked as a volunteer and am very excited to serve in the Peace Corps.

However, the thought of leaving my friends and family for 27 months is extremely hard for me. I am so lucky to have so many amazing people in my life who provide me so much joy. This being said, living on the other side of the world doesn't mean that I won't be able to stay in touch. Thus the birth of this blog!

Now, I have just one week left until I fly to Chicago for "staging," then two days later it's off to Romania and the first day of the next 27 months of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment