Saturday, December 10, 2011

One Year Later

Today Julie and I got together.  We have been having unseasonably nice weather so we decided to go walking in the hills around her site.  We went on my favorite short hike.  After crossing the river out of her town you hike straight up a hill for about 20 minutes so you get nice and warm.  It's also a great leg workout.  At the top of the hill is a small community of house where chickens abound.  They were way too speedy for my camera, but I am posting this blurry photo to show how gorgeous some of them were.

 

As Julie and I hiked, we caught up on the past week of classes, some of which have been quite difficult.  We also talked about what a difference a year makes.  By this time last year we had already had a few weeks of snow and had started to become the shut-ins that harsh Romanian winters force you to be.  We also talked about how much easier it is to get out and do things versus last year when we felt almost every spare moment should be spent lesson planning. 


A year later our perspectives have changed and while we're not sure if we have gotten any better at it; at least it feels a little easier.

On the train ride back to my site I had a little surprise.  Many Romanian trains have assigned seats, but the little trains that run up and down our valley don't.  They are the lowest class of train in Romania (read both cheap and dirty); however, the train ride isn't too long so it isn't a bother.  Today as I looked for a cabin and a seat I saw one cabin was under lock and key.  I was a little afraid of what I might see when I peaked in as there is a prison next to the train tracks, but this was a happy surprise.  The cabin was full of gorgeous Christmas trees. 


I have no idea where they were from or who they were for, but they smelled glorious.  I hope they are going to good homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment