Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Beginnings

Recently, I spoke with a former volunteer who said that she feels that the spirit of Christmas really comes from the heart so that one can feel the spirit no matter where they are.  I both agree and disagree with this.  While I believe you can feel the spirit of the season radiating from within, for me Christmas doesn't really begin until I get to spend time with family and friends.  The joy of the Christmas season is gathering with those I love. While I don't get to see my real family this year for the holidays I have been able to start the holiday season with some friends and students here in Romania. 

My holiday season started last week in school when I started doing carols with my students.  I see half of each class once a week so it takes me a full week to see all nine of my classes once.  Last year I learned the lesson that although we have class until the end of the week before break classes pretty much stop on Wednesday therefore, I knew that if I wanted to get all my classes to be able to sing carols I needed to start early.  I did carols with my 10th and 11th grade students (the 12th graders were giving final presentations).  I chose "Jingle Bell Rock," "Silent Night," and "Little Drummer Boy."  Some classes were more into it that others, but it was fun to share some new carols with them.  I also told the story of the little drummer boy which doesn't exist in Romanian (at least not that any of my students knew) and was my favorite carol when I was little.  I should note that although I teach at a public school there is a state religion (Romanian Orthodox) and all students take religion as a class unless they get a waiver.  I do have one student who is Adventist, but all my other students are Romanian Orthodox or Catholic.

For over a year now I have also been teaching an English class for some of the mothers that use the services at "Together in Life's Path" (the foundation I work with).  Angela, whose home I visited last week, runs the foundation with Saskia, a volunteer from Holland.  This summer I also started teaching an English class for kids there which I have continued into the school year.  Angela and Saskia have been my biggest cheerleaders in Romania.  They have been advocates and friends; they helped create the sports camp which was one the highlights of my summer.  Being able to go to the foundation twice a week has been a blessing.  Thus I was thrilled to be able to celebrate with them at their annual holiday party (last year my school schedule conflicted with the party).

Some of the mothers from English class
Mothers and children came to part.  As is a Romanian tradition, each child who was old enough had to recite a Christmas poem or sing a song to get Mos Crăciun (which literally translates to old man Christmas or Santa) to come.  Below is a video of a student, Danuț, who was very nervous reciting his poem.


Maia and Miruna, two students in my kids class
waiting for Santa




Santa was accompanied by a choir from a local high school who performed for everyone gathers.  Then each child got a present from Santa.  Who unfortunately terrified a few of the kids.


Maia and Mos Crăciun

It was a lovely was to start my holiday season.  My students also bought me a lovely sweater which I will be wearing for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment