Wednesday, January 25, 2012

All is _____, All is White

In the past 24 hours we've been hit with an epic storm.  On the way back from school this afternoon I spotted some laundry that wasn't anywhere close to being dry.  As I write this, I believe we have about 6 inches and there is no sign of it letting up.  Unfortunately, there isn't such a concept as a snow day in Romania so I'll still be starting classes at 8 o'clock tomorrow morning, but in my head I'll be imagining the snow day I would have been able to indulge in if I were home in Seattle.

Those of you watching Romania in the international news may have noticed that Romanians have recently joined the ranks of other nations currently in protest.  Today is the 14th day straight day of protests in Bucharest and other large cities.  Last week, the New York Times had an article about it.  I have seen a few signs around town and yesterday after school teachers in my school joined others at the town hall, but beyond that I haven't seen local signs of what is happening across the country.  Peace Corps volunteers are currently not allowed to go to Bucharest, but this doesn't have an impact on me as I have no immediate travel plans.  I'll be staying in my cocoon of white for the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment